Hmm, here is an example. Re: [Ocfs2-users] Also just a comment to theOracle guys

Andy Phillips andrew.phillips at betfair.com
Mon Feb 12 04:15:40 PST 2007

As a thought, borrowing from solaris,

How about a mount option?

The following text is from the mount_ufs manpage. That probably
belongs to someone, but I took this from a random web page.

onerror = action This option specifies the action  that  UFS
should  take  to  recover  from an internal inconsistency on  a  file
system.  Specify action  as  panic,  lock,  or umount. These
values cause a forced  system  shutdown,  a file  system lock to be
applied to the file system, or the file system to  be  forcibly
unmounted,  respectively.  The  default  is panic.

That preserves existing behaviour, but allows people running rac and
ocfs2 to avoid multiple hits if rac and ocfs2 reboot different nodes.

Andy

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 08:44 -0800, Luis Freitas wrote:
> Alexei,
>
>      I think you got a point too, maybe OCFS2 could behave like
> Netapp, and simply hang when there is a problem and leave the fencing
> for CRS or whathever other clusterware is in use.
>
>      Anyone from Oracle got a opinion on this?
>
> Regards,
> Luis
>
> Alexei_Roudnev <Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com> wrote:
>         Absolutely. I know how redo and RAC interacts, you are
>         absolutely correct.
>
>         Sometimes CSSD reboots one node and that's all - good luck.
>         Sometimes OCFS reboots one node and CSSD reboots another node
>         - bad luck. That's why it is important do not mix different
>         cluster managers on the same servers, or at least allow them
>         to interact and make similar  decision _who is master today_
>         (so who will survive split-brain situation).
>
>         RAC is little simple case because Oracle is usually primary
>         service - so if it decide to reboot, it's reasonable decision.
>         OCFSv2 is another story - sometimes
>         it is _secondary_ service (for example, it is used for the
>         backups only), and if it is secondary then it should better
>         stop working then reboot.
>
>         It reveals 2 big problems (both, Oracle and OCFSv2, are
>         affected):
>         - single interface heartbeat is not reliable. You CAN NOT
>         build reliable cluster using single heartbeat channel.
>         Classical clusters (Veritas VCS)
>         uses 2 - 4 different heartbeat media (we use 2 independent
>         Ethernet HUBS and 2 generic Ethernet LAN-s in Veritas, use 2
>         Ethernets + 1 Serial in Linux clusters,
>         use 2 Ethernet + 1 Serial in Cisco PIX cluster, and so on).
>         Both OCFS and Oracle RAC can not use more then one (to be
>         correct, you can configure few interfaces
>         for RAC interconnection in SPFile, but it wil not affect
>         CSSD). In addition, OCFS defaults are very strange and
>         unrealistic - Ethernet and FC can not guarantee heartbeat
>         times better than 1 minute, in average (I mean - it case of
>         any network reconfiguration heartbeat wil experience 30 - 50
>         seconds delay, so if you configure 12 seconds timeout /default
>         in OCFSv2/ you are at least naive.
>
>         - too easy _self fencing_. Just again, if OCFS node lost
>         connection to the disk, it should not self fence - it can send
>         data to another nodes (or request them from
>         another nodes), it can unmount file system and try to remount
>         it, it can release control and resume operations. Immediate
>         fencing is necessary in SOME cases
>         but not in all. If FS have not pending operations, then
>         Fencing by reboot don't make much difference with just
>         _remount_. It's not so simple as I explain here,
>         but the truth is that fencing decisions are not flexible
>         enough and decrease reliability dramatically (I posted a list
>         of scenarios when fencing should not happen).
>
>         IN addition, I noticed other problems with OCFSv2 too (such as
>         excessive CPU usage in some cases).
>
>         I use OCFSv2, even in production. But I do it with a grain of
> [...]
Andy Phillips
Systems Architecture Manager, Betfair.com

Office: 0208 8348436

Betfair Ltd|Winslow Road|Hammersmith Embankment|London|W69HP
Company No. 5140986
The information in this e-mail and any attachment is confidential and is
intended only for the named recipient(s). The e-mail may not be
disclosed or used by any person other than the addressee, nor may it be
copied in any way. If you are not a named recipient please notify the
sender immediately and delete any copies of this message. Any
e-mail is strictly forbidden. Any view or opinions presented are solely
company.