[Ocfs2-users] 1.2.4 symbols

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at livedatagroup.com
Fri Feb 9 11:55:37 PST 2007

Sunil Mushran wrote:
> Appears ocfs2 fs module is not compatible with the other modules....
> ocfs2_dlm.ko, ocfs2_nodemanager.ko, ocfs2_dlmfs.ko, configfs.ko.
>
> When you build the modules, ensure you copy all of them in
> /lib/modules/...
> before running depmod -a.

topposting ouch.

I found the issue. There are two locations that have the same named
modules.

/lib/modules/2.6.16.27-0.6-smp/extra/ocfs2/   <--- this is where the
default "make install" puts them
/lib/modules/2.6.16.27-0.6-smp/kernel/fs/ocfs2/ <--- these are the
modules that are called with the init scripts etc ...

So the choices are:

1. Compile kernel and remove ocfs2 <--- not really practical
2. Remove the offending ocfs2 modules.
3. Manually edit the modules.dep and remove the location of old modules.
4. Or have the "make install" portion store the modules in second
location which overwrites the old.

Where should this be addressed out of the four? Dealing with this as in
number 4 seems the least like "cludge" unless the other distros
standardize the location somewhere else. Or maybe do nothing and use
packages only?

example:
vendor/ax2/ocfs2.spec-generic:EXTRA_MODLIB="${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}/lib/modules/%{kver}/extra"

Thanks for your input
Randy