[Ocfs2-users] Large difference between space used on reiserfs vs ocfs2

Luis Freitas lfreitas34 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 25 11:55:02 PST 2007

  If you have lots of small files, it could happen. The basic space allocation unit is one block. If I am not mistaken on OCFS2 the default is 4k.

  A quick search on google shows that Reiserfs can coalesce small files together  and save space.

  You could try to format your OCFS partition with a smaller block size, near the average file size.

   Other possible explanation for this (That is, without filesystem corruption) is a large file that was deleted but is still in use by some process. The space remains allocated until you kill the process.

Regards,
Luis

"Michael M." <michael at gsc.cc> wrote:                        Dear list,

  I have all of my web files for my apache servers on multiple machines placed on ocfs2 volumes. I recently did an rsync to a reiserfs volume on an external usb harddrive, and df reports the following:

  (ocfs2 is on top, reiserfs on bottom)

  /dev/sde5            218757056 176814592  41942464  81% /mnt/www
  /dev/sdd1            732549604 117493932 615055672  17% /mnt/pba-web

  Is this normal?

  Thanks,
  Michael