[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 Snapshotting, freezing, monitoring block device

Michael Moody michael at gsc.cc
Thu Dec 6 12:32:46 PST 2007

Dear Mailing List,

(I was gonna start with Dear Diary but alas).

I have a few questions about freeze/thaw operations, block devices, etc.

Currently, I know that there is a patch to allow freeze/thaw operations,
as it was requested by NetApp. This is good. Let's assume for a moment
that you weren't using a SAN or something of that nature, but were able
to develop a software that could do a "software snapshot" (I know of at
least one of these, r1soft.com's CDP, and also Volume Shadow Copy for
windows does the same). Most of these softwares work by monitoring the
block device for changes after an operation like this: (psuedo code)

freeze_bdev(/dev/sdb1) //sync write caches to disk, etc
take_snapshot(/dev/sdb1) //consistent point in time
monitor_bdev(/dev/sdb1) //watch at the kernel level for writes/changes
to the block device, and keep in memory what the area of disk was before
if it's marked as needing to be changed, monitoring continues during the
entire backup process, even after the thaw
thaw_bdev //allow writes to disk to resume

If you were to monitor the block device on an ocfs2 volume, would you
see the changes from the other nodes? How exactly would one be able to
accomplish the above?

Any chance of snapshotting support, or some "online backup" support
making it's way into ocfs2 anytime in the near future? rsync has it's
limits.

Thanks,
Michael

--

Michael S. Moody
Sr. Systems Engineer

Engineering Support: support at gsc.cc
Billing Support: billing at gsc.cc
Customer Support Portal:  http://my.gsc.cc

NOTICE - This message contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify Global Systems Consulting, its subsidiaries or associates. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the view of Global Systems Consulting, its subsidiaries and associates.