[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 mount problem at Linux reboot when device names are non persistent.

Ricardo Fernandez Ricardo.Fernandez at quanam.com
Fri Aug 24 06:23:33 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have the following problem when the servers accessing OCFS2 reboot: as the Linux device names are non persistent, at reboot they usually change, and then OCFS2 can't mount the device because it is expecting a different device name as stated in the fstab file. (it is specified in the format /dev/sdx as the instructions of the OCFS2 installation manual say)
If I change the device name to the "new" name, it works fine. But this is not an acceptable solution, as each node should be able to start in a fully automatic way. (without human intervention)

I thought that the purpose of the disk LABEL that I added when formatting the partition with OCFS2 was exactly this. (Am I right?)
I changed the fstab to use the LABEL option, and also try to mount it from the command line using the LABEL option but it didn't work. Is there any bug or known issue on this topic. I guess that if I glue the device name with udev it will work, but I really would expect OCF2 to solve this problem (because it is not a new one, and most of the file systems I know can handle it)

I would appreciate any help on this topic.

Thanks a lot
Ricardo

I work with:

RHEL 4
Local SCSI devices
External devices locates in an EVA8000 SAN, accessed through a fibre channel bus. The OCFS2 file system is on one of these.