[Ocfs2-users] 6 node cluster with unexplained reboots

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at atc-onlane.com
Wed Aug 15 17:54:54 PDT 2007

The controller getting the request mirrors the request to the second
controller (in this case there is only 1, there can be up to 7 other).
Then it acknowledges the request and writes it to disk. Each controller
has double batteries to be able to finish any pending writes. If a
controller fails, it will only acknowledge the write after it is
physical on the disk. This is part of the 3Par operation. I have
submitted a request to 3Par to check the extensive logs they generate to
see if there is anything which can explain this write delay.

The previous reboots we had, for which we have no console logs, may have
been OCFS2 fencing or something else, all of which happened while the
cluster has been pretty much idle, while this time there was activity
(import). Monday's reboot was the first since the initial 4 reboots. I
wished OCFS2 would still log more then just on the console so we had
evidence on the other reboots.

Ulf.