[Ocfs2-users] Quorum and Fencing with user mode heartbeat

Andreas Mock Andreas.Mock at web.de
Tue Aug 7 23:27:05 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I read the FAQ, especially the questions 75-84 about Quorum and Fencing.
I want to use OCFS2 with Heartbeat V2 with heartbeat_mode 'user'.
What I missed in the FAQ is a explanation of what role in the whole OCFS
system is taken by HAv2 (or other Cluster software)
when using heartbeat_mode 'user'.

1) When is disk heartbeating started? (Mount of device?)
2) When is 'network' heartbeating started? (as soon as directory entries are
created in the configfs?)
3) Which timing values are taken by user-mode-heartbeating?
4) HAv2 should be in charge of fencing nodes. How can I achieve that OCFS is
not fencing on its own?
5) Is it possible to turn off self fencing of OCFS completely?

I would be happy if someone could give the right hints.

Best regards
Andreas Mock