[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 Fencing, then panic

Andrew Phillips Andrew.Phillips at betfair.com
Wed Apr 11 02:43:47 PDT 2007

Do you see anything else odd in your system logs? For example "losing
too many ticks"?
We've traced our problem, that may be similar to yours, to a disk
controller/firmware/driver
that was blocking interrupts for various periods of time. We've tried a
variety of ways
to get it to play nice, but without much luck. If the system is
unresponsive, or unable
to handle packet transmission or reception for 10s (unless you use the
1.2.5 release) then
you'll trigger the o2net_idle_timer shutdown.

Andy

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 09:13 +0000, enohi ibekwe wrote:
> Thanks for your help so far.
>
> My issue is the frequency at which node 0 gets fenced, it has happened at
> least once a day in the last 2 days.
>
> More details:
>
> I am attempting to add a node (node 2) to an existing 2 node ( node 0 and
> node1) cluster. Alll nodes are curently running SLES9 (2.6.5-7.283-bigsmp
> i686) + ocfs 1.2.1-4.2. This is the ocfs package that ships with SLES9. Node
> 2 is not part of the RAC cluster yet, I have only installed ocfs on it. I
> can mount the ocfs file system on all nodes, and the ocfs file system is
> accessible from all nodes.
>
> Node 0 is the node alway fenced and gets fenced very frequently. Before I
> added the kernel.panic parameter, node 0 would get fenced, panic and hang.
> Only a power reboot would make it responsive again.
>
> This is what happened this morning.
>
> I was remotely connected to node 0 via ssh. Then I suddenly lost the
> connection. I tried to ssh again but node 0 refused the connection.
>
> Checking node 1 dmesg I found :
> ocfs2_dlm: Nodes in domain ("A7AE746FB3D34479A4B04C0535A0A341"): 0 1 2
> o2net: connection to node ora1 (num 0) at 10.12.1.34:7777 has been idle for
> 10 seconds, shutting it down.
> (0,3):o2net_idle_timer:1310 here are some times that might help debug the
> situation: (tmr 1176207822.713473 now 1176207832.712008 dr 1176207822.713466
> adv 1176207822.713475:1176207822.713476 func (1459c2a9:504)
> 1176196519.600486:1176196519.600489)
> o2net: no longer connected to node ora1 (num 0) at 10.12.1.34:7777
>
> checking node 2 dmesg I found:
> ocfs2_dlm: Nodes in domain ("A7AE746FB3D34479A4B04C0535A0A341"): 0 1 2
> o2net: connection to node ora1 (num 0) at 10.12.1.34:7777 has been idle for
> 10 seconds, shutting it down.
> (0,0):o2net_idle_timer:1310 here are some times that might help debug the
> situation: (tmr 1176207823.774296 now 1176207833.772712 dr 1176207823.774293
> adv 1176207823.774297:1176207823.774297 func (1459c2a9:504)
> 1176196505.704238:1176196505.704240)
> o2net: no longer connected to node ora1 (num 0) at 10.12.1.34:7777
>
> Since I had reboot on panic on both node 0, node 0 restarted. Checking
> /var/log/messages I found:
> Apr 10 09:39:50 ora1 kernel: (12,2):o2quo_make_decision:121 ERROR: fencing
> this node because it is only connected to 1 nodes and 2 is needed to make a
> quorum out of 3 heartbeating nodes
> Apr 10 09:39:50 ora1 kernel: (12,2):o2hb_stop_all_regions:1909 ERROR:
> stopping heartbeat on all active regions.
> Apr 10 09:39:50 ora1 kernel: Kernel panic: ocfs2 is very sorry to be fencing
> this system by panicing.

Andy Phillips
Systems Architecture Manager, Betfair.com

Office: 0208 8348436

Betfair Ltd|Winslow Road|Hammersmith Embankment|London|W69HP Company No.
5140986
The information in this e-mail and any attachment is confidential and is
intended only for the named recipient(s). The e-mail may not be
disclosed or used by any person other than the addressee, nor may it be
copied in any way. If you are not a named recipient please notify the
sender immediately and delete any copies of this message. Any
e-mail is strictly forbidden. Any view or opinions presented are solely
company.