[Ocfs2-users] Catatonic nodes under SLES10

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Mon Apr 9 16:13:59 PDT 2007

It all depends of the usage scenario.

Tipical usage is, for example:

(1) Shared application home. Writes happens once / week during maintanance,
otehr time files are opened for reading only. Few logfiles
can be redirected if required.

So, when server see a problems, it HAD NOT any pending IO for a 3 days - so
what the purpose of reboot? It 100% knows that NO ANY IO
is pending, and other nodes have not any IO pending as well.

(2) Backup storage for the RAC. FS is not opened 90% of the time. At night,
one node opens it and creates a few files. Other node have not any pending
IO on this FS. Fencing passive node (which dont run any backup) is not
useful because it HAD NOT ANY PENDING IO for a few hours.

(3) WEB server. 10 nodes, 1 only makes updates. The same - most nodes have
not any pending IO.

Of course there is always a risk of FS corruption in the clusters. Any layer
can keep pending IO forever (I saw Linux kernel keeping it for 10 minutes).
Problem is that in such cases software fencing can't help as well because
node is half-dead and can't detect it's own status.

So, the key point here is not in _fence for each ap-chi_ but _keep system
without pending writes as long as possible and make clean transition between
active write/active read / passive states. Then you can avoid self-fencing
in 90% cases (because of server wil be in passive or active reads state). I
mounT FS but don't cd into it, or just CD but dont read - passive status. I
read file - active read for 1 minute, tbhnen flush buffers so that it is in
passive mode again. I began top write - switch system to write mode. I did
not write blocks for 1 minute - flush everything, wait 1 more minute and
switch to passive mode.