[Ocfs2-users] Catatonic nodes under SLES10

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Mon Apr 9 15:50:25 PDT 2007

I am saying, that by default (at least on SLES9 SP1) system panic do not
cause automatic reboot, so when some applications try to
fence themself via panic, they stop system instead of rebooting it. I saw it
on olde SLES9 (and because I alwayts set up these 2 variables, I did not
verified how OCFSv2 behaves today).

No matter how OCFSv2 is implemented, it is recommended to set up both
variables to 1. Else you can end up with serfver, blinking by keyboard
lights because of panic.

I 100% disagree with OCFSv2 approach in fencing - if system had not pending
io operations (at least have not files open for the writing), then
it can simple remount instead of panic. IN some cases, desired behaviour is
to suspend all IO on OCFS but dont panic the whole server (example - if you
use it for backups). Moreover, if you use OCFSv2 for oracle database and
system have split brain etc, it is desirable to freeze file change
operations (so keeping simple write sand reads allowed) so that database can
still work (but can't expand files for example), as it worked in OCFSv1,
instead of panicing.

The only case when nodes have not chances other then fencing is:
- system lost connection to both, disk and network, or system dont see disk
heartbeat for a long
AND
- system have active IO operations OR at least have files opened for the
writing.

many other cases can be overriden, for example:
- system can't read or write disk BUT can communicate with second node - why
don't ask these node to do IO operation instead of panicking. If node1 have
not disk access but node2 have disk access, everything can work properly;
- if node 1 doing nothing, then fencing dont release any resources so it
don't have sense at all;
- if node1 can't comminictae with node2 by eth0, why it can't try eth1 or
serial connection?
- if all nodes lost disk access, fencing dont make any sense until at least
1 node goit these access back.

All things are implemented in many clusters.