[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 - disk usage inconsistencies

Fabio Corazza fabio at newbay.com
Sun Sep 24 13:18:58 PDT 2006

I'm getting the same here. 4GB used in reality but 8GB displayed by df.
This is a 100% more of space consumed despite the real usage of the file
system. Initially I addressed the problem to the actual cluster size and
block size (64k and 4k), since we have a LOT of directories and a LOT of
small files, but still the 100% of usage in respect of the real usage is
too much. The filesystem is being used by a web application which does a
lot of read/writes since it stores photos on users albums, and this will
cause huge SAN space problems in the future (when we will reach 600GB of
space this will require 1.2TB).

I've opened a ticket internally to reformat the filesystem with 4k of
cluster size and 2k of block size, but I think that this will not solve
completely the problem, seeing what the other users report to this
mailing list.

With GFS we never got those problems, but I wanted to get rid of it
since I wanted to get away from the RedHat cluster suite.

Being said this, we should probably discuss more about this issue.

Fabio