[Ocfs2-users] Getting Started with ocfs2

Martin J. Evans martin.evans at easysoft.com
Wed Oct 11 15:13:26 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 22:50 +0100, Martin J. Evans wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 10:16 -0700, Sunil Mushran wrote:
> > 1. Do "/etc/init.d/o2cb load"
> > Appears you have hand loaded the modules. Use the script. It needs
> > to do some mounting too.
>
> [root at db ~]# /etc/init.d/o2cb.init  load
> Mounting configfs filesystem at /sys/kernel/config: OK
> Mounting ocfs2_dlmfs filesystem at /dlm: OK
>
> > 2. Run "ocfs2console". No -N option.
>
> fine but on selecting cluster/configure nodes I still get dialogue
> saying "Could not query the state of the cluster stack. This must be
> resolved before any OCFS2 filesystemcan be mounted."
>
> > Which distro are you on?
>
> Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
>
> with ocfs2 tools installed by downloading the source and the usual
> configure and make (version ocfs2-tools-1.2.1.tar.gz) because the rpms I
> saw seemed ages (years) out of date.
>
> I get a bit futher if I create an /etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf
> containing:
>
> cluster:
>         node_count = 0
>         name = ocfs2
>
> in that I can hit cluster/configure but when I enter the information
> into the dialogue and click apply I get:
>
> "o2cb_ctl: Unable to access cluster service while creating node. Could
> not add node xxx."
>
> I must have missed this somewhere as all I read was run ocfs2console and
> it will create the cluster.conf.
>
> Martin

By manually creating /etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf to say:

cluster:
        node_count = 1
        name = ocfs2

node:
        ip_port = 7777
        ip_address = 192.168.0.87
        number = 1
        name = db
        cluster = ocfs2

I can mount the filesystem so some progress has been made.

I'm new to this so I may be missing a lot but following the instructions
in the user guide did not get me to this point:

1. the ocfs2console does not run without setting my PYTHONPATH first - I
don't know why.
2. the ocfs2console does not seem to create the /etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf
(for me anyway).
3. if you install the ocfs2 tools from the rpm it create a minor
cluster.conf which ocfs2console does not seem to like since you can't
add nodes. If you install from the source code you don't even get a
cluster.conf.

I am willing to accept I've missed things but what were they? Does
everyone go through this?

Martin

Martin J. Evans
Easysoft Limited