[Ocfs2-users] suitable values for block- and cluster-size

Mark Fasheh mark.fasheh at oracle.com
Wed Nov 8 09:48:57 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 01:38:42PM +0100, Stephan Hendl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I try to use an ocfs2 cluster with 4 nodes for a webserver cluster. The
> webserver contains millions of small files - does anybody have a
> suggestion for setting block size and cluster size? 4/4 or better 4/32?
I'd do 2/4 or 4/4 assuming that "small" means "less than 4k".

The bigger block size might be a better long term solution (though you might
have a small performance drop in the short run). When we finish the data in
inodes feature, it'll allow you to store files within a single inode block
so the larger block size would be preferable for lots of small files. I
don't think we'll be able to retroactively 'stuff' inodes that already exist
though, at least not on a live file system.
	--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh
Senior Software Developer, Oracle