[Ocfs2-users] More than 40 thousands files in a directory on OCFS21.1.8

Zach Brown zach.brown at oracle.com
Mon May 29 10:17:55 CDT 2006

Eckenfels. Bernd wrote:
> Hello Silviu,
>
>> I know that OCFS2 is based on ext3, that's slow when accessing
>> directories with a lot of files.
>
> Ext3 has the dir_index feature which can
> speed up those large dirs. And OCFS2 is written from scratch.

You're both close :)

OCFS2 is based on ext[23], though it has some components that were
written specifically for OCFS2.  ext3 has htree (dir_index) which
addresses most efficiency problems that come from having many files in a
directory -- it's not "slow".  OCFS2 takes it's directory handling from
ext3 but does not include the htree (dir_index) functionality.

So almost all operations that involve file names (open, unlink, rename,
etc, etc) will see a performance hit in OCFS2 as the number of files in
the directory increase.

- z