[Ocfs2-users] More than 40 thousands files in a directory on OCFS2 1.1.8

Silviu Marin-Caea silviu_marin-caea at fieldinsights.ro
Mon May 29 04:25:44 CDT 2006

We have a directory that contains more than 40000 files on an OCFS2 volume.
They are reports, new ones are generated at a rate of 8000 / day.  In the
morning, there's a cronjob that deletes the old ones.

The problem is that, sometimes (not always), when this cronjob runs, the
access to the OCFS2 directory is blocked, and Oracle Clusterware goes mad
(many racgmain processes that accumulate and increase the machine load).  We
have to reboot.

We'll update to OCFS2 1.2.1 (the latest SLES9 kernel).  But, as a general
question, is there a serious problem with having so many files in a
directory?

I know that OCFS2 is based on ext3, that's slow when accessing directories
with a lot of files.