[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 and Snapshots

Andre Brinkmann brinkman at hni.upb.de
Thu Jul 20 12:54:57 CDT 2006

Hello Alexei,

yes I am sure :-). We have developed the software at our research lab
and it has been extensively tested in productive environments for most
Linux distributions and kernel versions (2.4.21 - 2.6.17). Up to now, we
have mostly used it with single server file systems like XFS, Ext2, or
Reiser.

Even if OCFS2 is still new, it has the advantages that it is really open
source and it is not bound to a single distribution. But it misses some
features which strongly simplify administration and data safety.
Therefore I would like to couple OCFS2 with the features of our
virtualization environment.

Similar to OCFS2, XFS relies on the uniqueness of a serial number. But
with XFS, I am able to change this uid with a user space admin tool. I
hope to find (or implement) similar features in OCFS2 to be able to
support snapshots. I think the possibility to change the uuid is import
for most storage system. Even hardware RAIDs with integrated snapshots
will have similar problems.

Best Regards

Andre