[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2-related hang

Eric Jones ejones at jimmy.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 20 08:12:33 CDT 2006

Hello,

We think we've seen this issue a few times now and I wonder if anyone
out there has any insight as to what's going on.

We have a large (40+) cluster accessing an OCFS2 v 1.2.1 filesystem.
All nodes are Fedora Core 4 (kernel 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4smp).  One node is
x86_64, the rest are i686.

On the affected node (the x86_64 host), we tried to start the Sun grid
Engine dbwriter service.  All the related processes entered a permanent
"D" state.  All root logins received a syslog message saying:

kernel: Kernel BUG at "/root/dnld/ocfs2/ocfs2-1.2.1/fs/ocfs2/file.c":787
kernel: invalid operand: 0000 [1] SMP

I've attached a syslog fragment with the full stack trace.

We were able to log into the box and reboot it.  The dbwriter then
started normally.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to avoid this problem going forward?

--
Eric Jones                  ejones at jimmy dot harvard dot edu
System Adminstrator         Department of Biostatistics & Computational Biology