[Ocfs2-users] Using OCFS2 for heavy I/O

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Mon Jul 10 11:29:22 CDT 2006

I run a stability test, using OCFSv2 in the lab for document storage (not so
many directories, but still many thousands of files, on 2
servers) and had devastating results - system crashed 2 times (I mean -
whole cluster) in 2 weeks, first time it damaged system disk on one of the
servers (making it useles until I reinstalled it), second it just freeze on
one server and sticked on another, and it had a damaged (bad link counter)
in 1 directory in the very end.

Adding dumb _self fencing_ schema (which cause system to suicide regularry),
very bad setting for heartbeat (you can not specify few interfaces, as youc
an in any professional cluster system), and bad tuning capabilities (you can
work out 12 second timeout on heartbeat, but you can not do anything with a
few other timeouts), I treat OCFSv2 as _ready for experimental usage only_,
and gave up (not a surprise - I expected something like this).

The only good point was - it never lost data and it never damaged user's
data. -:)

PS. If you run it - make 3-d node, even if you don't use it in application.
It (at least) solve 'second node suicide' problem.

PS. System was SP3 update, i386, kernel 257. I plan to make the same
experiment on better servers with x86_64.
I have OCFSv2 using for Oracle backups (in the lab) without any problems for
2 month.