[Ocfs2-users] OCFS 1.2.4 and extended attributes

HAWKER, Dan dan.hawker at astrium.eads.net
Mon Dec 4 10:31:44 PST 2006

> I suppose it is a matter of personal preference, as well as
> what you are trying to accomplish.  GFS requires redhat
> cluster suite, which is a full blown cluster set up.  You
> don't have to set it up like that, you can do a minimal setup
> which will only do a filesystem share, but its still a lot of
> complexity, multiple lock managers and things.  I prefer the
> way OCFS2 is setup, where the setup is a little less
> invasive, but the setup is the same.  I only have a need for
> a shared file system, I don't have a cluster-aware
> application, nor does it need to be.  So for me, OCFS2 was
> the way to go.

Hi Ernest,

What kind of files are you serving up from you OCFS2 shared filesystem and
the services that access it??? Am in the process of deciding on a Cluster FS
for a mixed development network here, and although I like the lack of
complexity in OCFS2 (as you have rightly mentioned, its much simpler than
GFS), I am more concerned with performance, as OCFS2 is more targetted
(obviously) at database access rather than as a regular filesystem. Most of
my guys will be developing code (directly via ssh, eclipse, etc) on a series
of servers that will directly access the shared filesystem.

What performance figures are you getting??? If OCFS2 is comparable to GFS
(of course all have a performance penalty due to locks and things), I'd be
willing to take a small hit for the ease of use.

Regards

Dan

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments from your system.
Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.