[Ocfs2-users] re: how should ocfs2 react to nic hardware issue

Peter Santos psantos at cheetahmail.com
Fri Dec 1 20:07:44 PST 2006

Adam,
thanks for the feedback.
I wanted to quickly show you my setup because I believe that
when I took down eth0, my connection hung even though my TAF policy is setup
properly.

eth0   - public ip of the machine
eth0:1 - vip managed by oracle. This is also what clients use to connect to.
         dns has entries called dbinsto# that point to the 3 vips on my cluster.

eth1   - private ip, used for cluster interconnect and o2cb service (cluster.conf)

my client tnsnames.ora
ORACTAH =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (LOAD_BALANCE = ON)
    (FAILOVER = ON)
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dbinsto1)(PORT = 1521))  <-- vip
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dbinsto2)(PORT = 1521))  <-- vip
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dbinsto3)(PORT = 1521))  <-- vip
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = SHARED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = ORACTAH)
          (FAILOVER_MODE =
            (TYPE = SELECT)
            (METHOD = BASIC)
            (RETRIES = 20)
            (DELAY = 5)
          )
    )
  )

Since the o2cb service operates via eth1 and there is no lost connectivity
to the shared device, o2cb should continue to work just fine, but
I was sure that the vip on this node did not get moved to another node.

When I repeated this same process on eth1, the o2cb service evicted this node
from the cluster and it was eventually rebooted.. not sure if it was
the o2cb service that caused it to reboot or oracle's CRS daemons.

I'll keep testing further.

thanks
- -peter