[Ocfs2-users] o2net: connect to node has been idle for 10 secs

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Mon Aug 7 11:14:51 PDT 2006

Btw.

Netwo0rk convergence time is BY DEFAULT 30 seconds MINIMUM. It means, than
in no case I can garantee idle time on interconenct less than 40 seconds.

Read STP Ethernet protocol, if you have questions.

Our FibreChannel network have, to compare, 60 second timeout setting for
MPIO switchover. NetApp have 40 seconds Failover time.
Protoicols such as EGRP have 20 - 30 seconds reconvergence time (OSPF is
faster - in some cases).

So.

If OCFSv2 see idle time > 10 seconds, it have not ANY RIGHT to reboot. IT
can do anithing special, such as go to _recovery mode_, trying to reconnect
and enasuring that other nodes can lost connection with it, but if it
self-fence or reboots before trying for 60 - 90 seconds, it violate network
time frames and do not make any sense.

Moreover, as I said before - if we have not outstanding IO on OCFS, there is
not much sense to reboot even if system must self-fence - it makes much more
sense to _reconnect_ to the cluster or make some other attempt to start from
the scratch. Else, any OCFS, even passive (not used), increase system
instability in thousands times.