[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 on top of LVM2?

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Wed Apr 26 07:19:42 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 13:50 -0700, Zach Brown wrote:
> > Are there any efforts going into using OCFS2 on top of LVM such that LVM
> > would stripe or concatenate LUNS and allow me to create a large OCFS2
> > filesystem?
>
> You can use OCFS2 on shared logical volumes with straight-forward
> striping or concatenation, sure.  That kind of static aggregation is a
> far cry from the kind of active management that ASM can do with its
> hooks into the database, though.

Alright, thanks for that info.  However, since RHEL does not include the
clvm package (it's only part of Red Hat Cluster Suite), can I still use
shared LVs as part of OCFS2 and be certified?  Or would I have to have
the cluster-aware clvm installed?

If I have multiple LUNs presented to two or most hosts, I can manage the
LVM metadata on one host and the other hosts will discover the LVs;
however, there is no locking in place to make sure I don't try to alter
the LVM metadata on two nodes at once.  This is typically why groups
won't certify RHEL4 LVM2 for cluster operations.

I don't want to pay for RHCS or GFS just to get a supported clvm binary
RPM and stick OCFS2 on top of it  :-)

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.