[Ocfs2-users] What happens if Ethernet connection dies

Weller, Michael michael.weller at itz-essen.de
Thu Apr 20 17:07:57 CDT 2006

Dear List,

I now have a different problem, which might cause us to stop using
o2cfs.

We still have two HP-machines, redundantly connected to an HP-san with
an EVA 6000. Each has two network cards which are bundled with bonding.o
as active-standby. They are connected to a switch.

Now, if there is a problem with the network, or if one machine is
disconnected from the switch: Both machines are self-fencing!

Installed are:
rhenad:~ # rpm -q ocfs2-tools
ocfs2-tools-1.1.4-0.5
rhenad:~ # rpm -q ocfs2console
ocfs2console-1.1.4-0.5

We cannot really make an update, at least not a kernel update, as we
will loose SAN certification and experiments show, that the SAN and
failover won't work than. Oh yes, all this is from SLES9 SP3

Question: Of course, our main idea to use ocfs was, that if one node
crashes or looses network connection or something, that the other one
survives. At the moment it seems, that if one node has problems, both
are self-fencing.

What is the official opinion here, and what can we do to address that
problem?

Would having each link of the fault-tolerent pairs on a different lan
switch (for redundancy) help? This way, a lan-switch lockup (as it
happened on us) won't be a problem, however, if one(!) machine crashes
or looses network connection, is there a chance for an ocfs2 cluster to
survive?

Thanks in advance,
Michael.

---