[Ocfs2-users] heartbeat write timeout

Stephan A. Rickauer stephan.rickauer at ini.phys.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 19 01:06:52 CDT 2006

Sunil Mushran wrote:
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> I was able to reproduce this behaviour on SuSE 10.1 beta 6 and 8.
> Furthermore,
> ocfs2 (also 1.2) on the very same system but installed with CentOS 4.3
> does not
> make the kernel panic.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Is this true? Well, I imagine, considering you wrote it. But I would still
> like a confirmation as this narrows down the problem. This means this
> is SLES10 specific.

It is very true ;) To be more specific I currently have two szenarios:
The QLogic iSCSI card I have doesn’t work on CentOS, but the software
open-iscsi implementation works fine, also ocfs2 does not panic, once I
raise the heartbeat timeout to 30 (not touching the topic of really poor
performance here).

On SuSE 10.1 RC1 the QLogic card works fine, but OCFS2 panics the machine.

Would be nice to have a half-centos, half-suse system in these days …

> Ahh... check out the following bug. This appears to be an iscsi issue
> on sles10.

> Bug 157463 - iSCSI initiator unstable

"You are not authorized to access bug #157463." However, I use the
QLogic iSCSI card on SuSE, so I have reason to believe the bug does not
affect me. It is probably refering to the software iscsi implementation,
though I can't be sure since I can't access the bug.

Novell told me to try the very latest kernel (whatever that means these
days, 2.6.16.7 is probably quite aged), but there the qla4xxx driver
does not compile. ;(

--

 Stephan A. Rickauer

 Institut für Neuroinformatik          Tel: +41 44 635 30 50
 Universität / ETH Zürich              Sek: +41 44 635 30 52
 Winterthurerstrasse 190               Fax: +41 44 635 30 53
 CH-8057 Zürich                        Web:  www.ini.ethz.ch

 RSA public key: https://www.ini.ethz.ch/~stephan/pubkey.asc