[Ocfs2-users] Lots of questions & lustre

Jeffrey W. Baker jwbaker at acm.org
Mon Aug 8 12:23:47 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 10:10 -0700, Sunil Mushran wrote:
> Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> >How many inodes will I get from e.g. a 4TB volume?
> >

> The inodes are allocated from a dynamically growing space. That is,
> we
> do not
> pre-allocate inode space. Each inode is atleast a block.

On a 4TB volume with 4KB blocks, the maximum number of inodes will be 1
billion?

> >Is there a subdirectory limit?
> >

> Unless vfs has some limits. no. Not that I am aware of.

I ask this question because ext2/ext3 have a limit of 32,000
subdirectories.

> >Can you safely deliver mail on OCFS2?
> >
> Care to expand.

Mail delivery is a kind of acid test of filesystem usefulness.  You
cannot safely deliver mail without an atomic link(2) or rename(2).  For
example, you cannot safely deliver mail on NFS.

Regards,
jwb