[Ocfs2-users] Lots of questions & lustre

Jeffrey W. Baker jwbaker at acm.org
Sun Aug 7 14:50:31 CDT 2005

Having noted that OCFS2 recently landed in Ubuntu Linux, and having for
about 9 months used Lustre is a small configuration, I'm thinking of
trying OCFS2 instead.  But there's some questions not or unclearly
answered in the FAQ, so here goes:

Can you mmap a file on OCFS2 for reading?

Can you execute programs off OCFS2?

Can two hosts open the same file O_APPEND, with correct results?

Can the OCFS2 volume be on top of an LVM device?  MD?  How would that
work?

Can you have 32-bit and 64-bit nodes in the same cluster?  Nodes with
different page sizes (e.g. Itanium)?

Is there a limit on the size of the volume on 64-bit hosts?  On 32-bit?

How many inodes will I get from e.g. a 4TB volume?

Is there a subdirectory limit?

Where can I find some comparative benchmarks?  How close to wire speed
can OCFS2 achieve on a single host?  Cluster-wide?  How many
stats/second can it do?  How much net traffic is caused by a given
amount of fibrechannel traffic?

Can you safely deliver mail on OCFS2?

-jwb