[Ocfs2-users] Maximum and minimum OCFS2 volume sizes?

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Tue Jul 27 13:43:21 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 04:53:32PM -0700, Villalovos, John L wrote:
> Just a quick question.  What is the maximum and minimum volume sizes
> that OCFS2 supports?
>
> I'm working on doing a plugin for EVMS to support OCFS2.  One of the
> functions needs that info.

	OCFS2 counts clusters via a u32.  So, you have UINT32_MAX
clusters as the maximum volume size.  Multiply that by the size of the
cluster (OCFS2 can be formatted with clustersizes of 4K-1M by powers of
2).  OCFS2 files have the same size limitation.
	As far as the minimum goes, the filesystem needs enough clusters
to describe itself and set up the system inodes (inodes for internal
filesystem accounting, the journals, etc).  I'd say that's on the order
of 5000 clusters, but I could be wrong.  I've successfully created a 20M
filesystem with 512B blocksize and 4K clustersize.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #511

	"Call your mother."