[Ocfs2-tools-devel] Compilation errors with -Werror=format-security

Jeremy Lainé jeremy.laine at m4x.org
Sat Oct 8 00:21:59 PDT 2011

Hello,

I am the maintainer for the Debian ocfs2-tools package, and am having trouble getting
ocfs2-tools now that the default GCC options include "-Werror=format-security".

The attached patch goes some way towards getting ocfs2-tools to compile, but I do not
understand what the "query_run" method in "tunefs.ocfs2/op_query.c" does:

     query_fs = fs;
     fprintf(stdout, fmt);
     query_fs = NULL;

=> is "fmt" actually a format string, and if so, why does the fprintf call not have any
arguments? Is fprintf being abused here?

Also, I noticed a number of snprintf calls of the form:

         snprintf (sysfile, sizeof(sysfile),
               ocfs2_system_inodes[JOURNAL_SYSTEM_INODE].si_name, i);

Is "ocfs2_system_inodes[JOURNAL_SYSTEM_INODE].si_name" actually a format string?

Many thanks in advance,
Jeremy Lainé