[Ocfs2-tools-devel] The end of static binaries?

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Thu Oct 16 14:33:10 PDT 2008

Folks,
	libcom_err just added a dependancy on -lrt.  It's hidden from
dynamically linked programs (it loads internally to libcom_err) but is
required on the link link for statically linked programs.  This breaks
our compiles of o2fsck and o2cb_ctl because they default to static and
we don't have -lrt on the link line.
	Now, pkg-config handles this with a --static argument.  So we
have two choices:

1) Have configure.in detect this and create COM_ERR_LIBS_STATIC, which
   we then use in the static builds of o2fsck and o2cb_ctl.

2) Just remove the static compilation option.  I can't find a modern
   distro that ships fsck static, even e2fsck or xfs_check.

Joel

--

"Hey mister if you're gonna walk on water,
 Could you drop a line my way?"

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle