[Ocfs2-tools-devel] Re: ocfs2-tools for Debian/Ubuntu

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 28 00:00:17 CDT 2005

Manish Singh wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 11:26:07PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
>
>>You builded very nice packages for sarge, but I think we should also look
>>at what would be the future of it. In Ubuntu i used python2.4 and given
>>that it is also in Debian, it is worth to leave 2.3 behind.
>

> There's no python2.4-gtk2 in Debian yet, so 2.3 can't be left behind.

Ok, I just noticed the same from Joel mail.

> Can you suggest a good way to abstract this in the packaging? When sid
> gets python2.4-gtk2, it seems like a maintainence hassle to maintain two
> sets of package metadata when nothing else is really different.

Yes, you can use the same method you are using for python-gtk2.

python-gtk2 is a dummy package that always Depends: on the pygtk built
with the most recent upstream version of python. In this case python2.3-gtk2.

There is the equivalent for python2.3-dev called python-dev that Depends always
on the default python version in the system.

(note that you will need to chage one line in ocfs2console .install file to make all of the above
more happy ;))

You still have pro and cons. If the 2 dummy pkgs go out of sync, the package won't build but that
can happen only in the development branch and it usually doesn't last more than a few days (during
big transitions anyway).
the pro's are that you forget about what version of python you are using and you always ensure to
use the default. If the default change you do nothing more than a rebuild. etc..

Fabio

--
no signature file found.