[Ocfs2-tools-devel] Simple fsck bug

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Fri Oct 15 23:47:17 CDT 2004

I just ran latest fsck.ocfs2 (r333) against an old disk image I use for
testing.  This was before the orphan dir referred to itself properly in
mkfs.  Here's what output I got with varied 'y' and 'n' answers:

Pass 2: Checking directory entries.
The '.' entry in directory inode 15 points to inode 692 instead of
itself.  Fix the '.' entry? <y> y
Directory entry '..' refers to inode number 692 which is unused, clear
the entry? <y> n
o2fsck: Bad magic number in inode reading inode 692 when verifying an
entry's file type

	I have to think the 'bad magic number' error is incorrect.  I'm
also wondering if fsck should abort at this point.
	I ran the code again, and answered 'y' to the question about
inode 692.  This time it proceeded on to pass 3, where it fixed the
connectivity of the orphan dir's '..' entry just fine.  I can't see why
this wouldn't have worked after answering 'n' as above.

Joel

--

"The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to
 appreciate it."

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle Corporation