[Ocfs2-devel] ocfs2 version issue

Junxiao Bi junxiao.bi at oracle.com
Tue Sep 1 18:15:37 PDT 2015

Hi Goldwyn,

On 09/01/2015 06:32 PM, Goldwyn Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi Junxiao,
>
> On 08/31/2015 09:22 PM, Junxiao Bi wrote:
>> Hi Goldwyn,
>>
>> Ocfs2 kernel version is removed from commit
>> ff8fb335221e2c446b0d4cbea26be371fd2feb64 ("ocfs2: remove versioning
>> information"), but Oracle CRS depends on this version, and this made
>> Oracle CRS can't be installed. So i think we should revert this commit
>> and sync this version with ocfs2-tools. Do you have any other concern
>> about this?
>
> We removed the version because it did not make sense. Even if we put in
> the version back we will have to maintain it and will have a similar
> case where the version number in the kernel is way behind the tools
> versions because of lack of updating. Add to it the confusion of users
> who would not know which version to quote.
>
> I suggest the Oracle CRS should be modified to use the kernel version as
> opposed to the ocfs2 kernel module specific versions.
But this still fail for already released software, customer may upgrade
to a new kernel but still use the old software.
My fault to say to sync ocfs2 kernel version with tools, we really can
make that two versions separated as Srini said. But we can sync their
version once now since kernel version is not updated for a long time,
then in the future, each do itself versioning.

Thanks,
Junxiao.