[Ocfs2-devel] [RFC] ocfs2/dlm: support range lock

Srinivas Eeda srinivas.eeda at oracle.com
Mon Jan 26 23:08:53 PST 2015

Hi Yangwenfang,

thank you very much for initiating this RFC :). This feature is long due
for OCFS2 and we are also interested in implementing this feature.
Wengang(cc'ed) has been looking into analysing and giving an attempt to
implement it. We haven't  looked at splitting and merging the range
locking yet, but looked at having lock fairness and range locking.
Wengang has done some of the dlm changes to see how it can be done but
other changes are still work in progress. We will email more details in
coming few days.

Since you are also looking into it, it would be great if we can
collaborate work on this feature. Can you please share more info on the
demo code you mentioned ? Like what it does and how much work has been
done on this ?

One of the thing we considered was making the rw lock itself support
range locking, which is a different approach from what you mentioned. Is
there any reason why rw lock cannot be used and we needa new
ip_range_lock_lockres ?

Thanks,
--Srini