[Ocfs2-devel] [RFC] ocfs2: Idea to make ocfs2_search_chain high efficiency

Srinivas Eeda srinivas.eeda at oracle.com
Mon Aug 24 09:57:26 PDT 2015

Hi Norton,

while the localalloc bmp is enabled the chances of a particular gd
ending with zero free bits is very minimal. local alloc bmp will pick
next gd once min number of free bits falls below localalloc bmp size. So
next gd is picked while the current gd still has free space.

Having said that, I understand the problem you are describing. Since we
only move the gd with more free bits ahead of the previous unusable gd
we end of rescanning unusable gds whenever the newly picked gd becomes
unusable. This is inefficient and causes performance problem when fs
gets fragmented

I am not sure if we will be allowed to use the bg_reserved2 ... but if
we are then we could use it to remember  next gd we should look at.

For example, if we assume there are 'N' GDs and we are currently seeing
that GD10 has more free space ... so the order of GDs are

GD10, GD1, GD2, ... GDN.

Now if we end up using most of the space in GD10, according to current
logic we re-read GD1, GD2.. GD9 and then read GD11 and pick that
(assuming it has free space). But instead if we had GD10 remembers GD11
as the next one to look at ... then we can skip reading GD1..GD9.

Thanks,
--Srini