[Ocfs2-devel] [RFC] Online File(system) check

Joseph Qi joseph.qi at huawei.com
Wed Apr 29 19:29:10 PDT 2015

On 2015/4/29 10:37, Gang He wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> Thanks for your detailed description.
> See my question inline.
>

>> Hi Goldwyn,
>>
>> Thanks for the good proposal.
>>
>> On 2015/4/28 20:21, Goldwyn Rodrigues wrote:
>>> Hi Gang,

>> requirements further, since we just do a light-level file check/fix according
>> to inode number, we need to know which items can be done by online check,
>> which items can be done by offline fsck.
>>>
>>> For the first phase (regular files), these are all the reasons the disk
>> validate function would fail. Some examples are ocfs2_validate_inode_block,
>> ocfs2_validate_extent_block etc.
>>> As we take up system inodes (phase 2), we will add more functionality.
>>>
>> Can we classify all corrupted cases and their corresponding fix ways? Maybe
>> we can get some hints from fsck.
>> And I don't think errors=continue can fit for all cases.
>> For some cases we shouldn't let it continue with errors to prevent more
>> damages.

>> is good or bad, but not modify anything, fix option is to check and fix a
>> file if the file is corrupted.
>>>
>>> Yes, there are two options, CHECKS only checks wheras FIX fixes the errors.
>> As a precautionary measure, a CHECK command should be provided before a FIX
>> is issued. IOW, a file should be checked for errors before actually fixing
>> it.
>>>
>> A convenient way to know which to be checked should also be taken into
>> consideration.

>> /sys/fs/ocfs2/filecheck" to check a file, how to give the feedback
>> information besides printing the messages to syslog?
>>>
>>> The output should be when you cat /sys/fs/ocfs2/filecheck. It would provide
>> the results of the last (N) files checked. I don't want to flood the kernel
>> log with this. Thanks for bringing this up, I will put it on the doc.
>> Something like:
>>>
>>> Inode Status Description
>>> 1234   ERROR Metadata incorrect
>>> 2352   FIXED Valid flag not set
>>> 9382   CHECKING -
>>> 8926   GOOD -
>>> 7230   CANT-FIX Please execute fsck.ocfs2 after taking filesystem offline.
>>>
>>> So, for the current scenario, only 1234 can be fixed. An echo should err
>> with EINVAL if any other inode number is provided with FIX.

>> user-space and queue them, then handle them one by one, right? what is the
>> behavior for the request user which execute "echo check ..." from the user
>> space? the user post a request to the kernel space, then the command will end
>> or wait for the file check end?
>>>>

>>> I would not suggest that, atleast for now. This is to improve availability.
>> However, if the filesystem is very bad, we should suggest an offline check.
>> However, the user can provide multiple CHECK requests.
> My question is, if users can execute "echo check > .." to check/fix files simultaneously? since users can trigger this command from different terminates.
I think we have to restrict it. Since offline fsck is also not supposed
to allow such a case.
If we have to, maybe user dlm can take care of this.

> Second, users send a command to kernel space, the kernel space have to cache these commands in a list/array, since kernel can not finish a check request immediately, otherwise, how does the kernel accept a new request during the kernel are handing the current request.
I think the operations should be done one by one.
IMO, kernel finds the corruption and reports to user space.
In user space we maintain a corruptions list.
Then user check/fix one by one.