[Ocfs2-devel] [patch 01/11] ocfs2: fix ocfs2_sync_file() if filesystem is readonly

Mark Fasheh mfasheh at suse.de
Fri Jan 24 14:21:19 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 04:02:09PM -0600, Goldwyn Rodrigues wrote:

> On 01/24/2014 02:46 PM, akpm at linux-foundation.org wrote:
> > From: Younger Liu <younger.liucn at gmail.com>
> > Subject: ocfs2: fix ocfs2_sync_file() if filesystem is readonly
> >
> > If filesystem is readonly, there is no need to flush drive's caches or
> > force any uncommitted transactions.
>
> An ocfs2 filesystem can be set to read-only because of an error, in
> which case, you should return -EROFS.
>
> Nak.

Goldwyn's right actually - disregard my sign off for the last one.

Basically the patch does this:

    if  (we're in some readonly state)
	return 0;

What we want, at the top of ocfs2_sync_file() is a return of -EROFS. This
will satisfy Goldwyn's requirement that we bubble -EROFS up the stack but at
the same time avoiding the extra work of trying to sync on a RO fs.

So the new version of the patch would be:

    if  (we're in some readonly state)
	return -EROFS;

Thanks,
	--Mark