[Ocfs2-devel] Question about incorrect free bits setting

Goldwyn Rodrigues rgoldwyn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 10:00:15 PST 2012

We have a customer who was running into read-only filesystem because
of incorrect free bits set/calculation. We have provided the fix from
here, which avoids the read-only problem
http://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/ocfs2-devel/2011-November/008431.html

Though the filesystem is does not turn read-only, we still get messages like -

[ 5017.452846] (ocfs2_wq,8480,0):ocfs2_block_group_clear_bits:2113
ERROR: Trying to clear 1 bits at offset 7658 in group descriptor #
7644672 (device cciss/c0d0p3), needed to clear 0 bits

We are investigating how the bits get free in the first place because
another allocation could claim the bits marked as free.

The question is:

Why does ocfs2_release_clusters has ocfs2_clear_bit as the undo
function wheras ocfs2_free_clusters has ocfs2_set_bit as the undo
function? Should it be NULL for ocfs2_release_clusters?

--
Goldwyn