[Ocfs2-devel] [patch] ocfs2: cleanup error handling in o2hb_alloc_hb_set()

Dan Carpenter dan.carpenter at oracle.com
Mon Feb 13 12:27:32 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:04:09PM -0800, Joel Becker wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 04:50:47PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > If "ret" is NULL, then "hs" is also NULL, so there is no need to free
> > it.  config_group_init_type_name() can't fail if the name ("heartbeat"
> > in this case) is less than CONFIGFS_ITEM_NAME_LEN (20) characters long
> > so we can just remove this error handling code.
>
> 	Is there a problem we're fixing here?  We can make all sorts of
> arguments about single-exit functions vs immediate returns, but if there
> isn't a problem, I'm not sure what we gain by code churn.

It's a static checker thing.  It's either an unneeded NULL check or
a check on the wrong variable depending on how you look at it.
Recently, I've been sending a lot of patches to remove unneeded NULL
checks for static checkers.  I try to fix the mistakes that are
harmless so that the real bugs aren't drowned out in noise.

regards,
dan carpenter