[Ocfs2-devel] avoid being purged when queued for assert_master

Wengang Wang wen.gang.wang at oracle.com
Wed Oct 12 18:02:29 PDT 2011

Hi Sunil,

On 11-10-12 17:32, Sunil Mushran wrote:
> So you are saying a lockres can get purged before the node is asserting
> master to other nodes?
>
> The main place where we dispatch assert is during master_query.
> There we set refmap before dispatching. Meaning refmap will protect
> us from purging.
>
> But I think it could happen in master_requery, which only comes into
> play if a node dies during migration.
>
> Is that the case here?

I think this can mainly include the response for a master_request.
in dlm_master_request_handler(), the master node quques assert_master.
The node which requested a master_request knows the master by receving
response values. It doesn't need to wait until the assert_master come.
As you know, the asserting master work is done in a workqueue. And the
work item in it can be heavily delayed. So in the duriation from the
(old) master responding with "Yes, I am master" to it sending assert_master,
Anything can heppan, the worse case is the lockres on the (old) master
get purged and is remasted by another node. So in this case,
apparently, the old master shouldn't send the assert_master any longer.
To prevent that from happening, we should keep the lockres un-purged as
long as it's queued for master_request.

#the problem is what my flush_workqueue patch tries to fix.

thanks,
wengang.