[Ocfs2-devel] disk full when it shouldn't

Tao Ma tao.ma at oracle.com
Mon Nov 8 17:06:14 PST 2010

Hi Massimo,

On 11/08/2010 11:14 PM, Massimo Cetra wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i've been using OCFS2 for a while (2 years or so, now) but i still have
> a big problem.
>
> on each filesystem that i have, it happens that, even if df reports that
> the disk has plenty of free space avalaible, no one can write any file.
> This behaviour has happened for several usages of OCFS2 (webserver and
> mail storage) so both with big files and small files.
>
> It happens more frequently on the mail partitions that i manage.
> I have tried to search for some documentation about this problems and it
> seems that i'm not the only one experiencing this behaviour.
>
> The kernels showing this behaviour are both 2.6.32 and 2.6.31.
> This happens with OCFS2-tools 1.4.2 and 1.4.3
>
> In the last weeks i have reformatted some partitions from scratch using
> 1.4.3 but the problem persists.
>
> I have found somewhere a bash script to analyze the sysdir and output
> useful informations for the debugging.
> The output of this script during the problem is attached.
 From the output, it seems that you shouldn't meet with ENOSPC problem
at that time. So when you meet with ENOSPC, could you please do 'sync'
first(that will sync the metadata to the disk so that stat_sysdir can
output the real metadata info) and then do stat_sysdir?

btw, you can also try to 'touch' one new file in your ocfs2 volume. So
if it succeeds, it means that the inode_alloc is ok. Otherwise, your
inode_alloc has no space. Please also try this test when you meet with
ENOSPC.

btw,

Regards,
Tao