[Ocfs2-devel] Large (> 16TiB) volumes revisited

Patrick J. LoPresti lopresti at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 12:02:21 PDT 2010

OK, this whole approach has a problem.

I do not think the journal flag I need to check
(JBD2_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_64BIT) is even read from disk until
jbd2_journal_load() is called.

Right now, jbd2_journal_load() is called by ocfs2_journal_load(),
which not only loads the journal, but also replays it.

I can move my check until after ocfs2_journal_load() is called, but
that seems a little late...  What if the journal is dirty and the disk
is mounted on a 32-bit system?

I am inclined to move the call to jbd2_journal_load() earlier,
specifically to ocfs2_journal_init().  Once the journal structure is
initialized from the journal's inode on disk, I can check the flags to
make sure the entire volume is addressable by the journal.

Thoughts?

 - Pat