[Ocfs2-devel] disk full when it shouldn't

Massimo Cetra ctrixk at navynet.it
Mon Dec 27 06:31:03 PST 2010

Il 03/12/2010 02:22, Tao Ma ha scritto:
> I have to say that df is only an approximate way to get the real info
> of an ocfs2 volume.
> df -i use statfs(2). And since there is no easy way to calculate all
> the inodes without
> locking every node's inode allocator, it just searchs the
> global_bitmap and gives a rough number.
>

>> The filesystem was not full:
>>
>> sheet3-1:/var/mail/virtual# dd if=/dev/zero of=TEST bs=1024 count=1024
>> dd: scrittura di `TEST': No space left on device
>> 1009+0 records in
>> 1008+0 records out
>> 1032192 bytes (1,0 MB) copied, 0,454305 s, 2,3 MB/s
>> sheet3-1:/var/mail/virtual#
> So this is node2? From the stat_sysdir output you attached,
> inode_alloc:0001 is full.
> It has no free inodes and the creation will fail.
>
> So you are meeting with the problem of fragmentation. Discontig block
> group should fix it.

Hi Tao,

back again.

I have decided to install 2.6.36.1 on all clusters to see if the
fragmentation problem has gone.

Unfortunately the problem persists, even if with different sympthoms.

Last week i had the same enospace problem but this time it was
consistent on both nodes (on both of them i couldn't even "touch" a
single file".
Previously i was able to touch it and sometimes to write several Mb to a
single file.

This time df was reporting about 49% of disk usage.

I'm attaching the stat_sysdir output for both nodes. Kernel is a vanilla
2.6.36.1.

Am i missing something ?
Is this fragmentation ?
Did i hit a bug or rhe problem is between the keyboard and the chair ?

Thanks for your help.

Massimo

P.S.: if you could explain how to interpret the stat_sysdir output i
could be less tedius and write less mails!