[Ocfs2-devel] [RFC] The reflink(2) system call v2.

jim owens jowens at hp.com
Fri May 8 05:16:08 PDT 2009

Joel Becker wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 10:59:04PM -0400, jim owens wrote:
>> You certainly did not address:
>>
>> - desire for one single system call to handle both
>>   owner preservation and create with current owner.
>
> 	Nope, and I don't intend to.  reflink() is a snapshotting call,
> not a kitchen sink.

BTW, the "kitchen sink" argument is bull!

All we are saying is have 1 syscall with 1 vfs operation that
does exactly the same thing except:

if (FLAG_SHAPFILE) {
       if (not CAP_FOWNER)
             return -EPERM
       newfile.attrs = old_file.attrs
) else
       newfile.attrs = user_default_create_attrs

I really think your objection is all because you are
hung up on your reflink() API that has NO EXISTING USERS!

jim