[Ocfs2-devel] lvb length issue [was Re: [ocfs2-tools-devel] question of ocfs2_controld (Jun 27)]

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Tue Jul 7 10:24:04 PDT 2009

David Teigland wrote:
> Yes, the kernel dlm api allows a variable lvb size, but the user dlm api fixes
> it at 32.
>
> Do you need to actually use a 64 byte lvb from userspace?  Or do you just need
> to create the locksapce with a 64 byte lvb?  We could add a flag to work
> around the later fairly easily.  Changing the dlm user/kernel interface to
> copy variable size lvb's would take some significant work.

I guess the problem here is that Coly is attempting to run mkfs on a volume
that is mounted on another node. mkfs.ocfs2 joins the lockspace to ensure it
is not in use across the cluster, before cleaning out the superblock. If
it is
mounted, the lockspace would have been created by the fs... meaning
64-byte lvb.

Coly, is this correct?

If so, then yes, the flag workaround to create a fixed 64-byte lvb will do.

Thanks
Sunil