[Ocfs2-devel] mounting a snapshot for backup.

sylarrrrrrr at aim.com sylarrrrrrr at aim.com
Wed Jul 1 04:31:44 PDT 2009

Hi

I have an ocfs2 volume (1.4.1) on lvm2, which is made available on 2 nodes via dual primary drbd that is on it. I wanted to backup my volume, so naturally I made a snapshot of it via the lvm2, and tried to mount it for backing up. However, I got the following error in dmesg :

[319981.478168] (23483,0):ocfs2_fill_super:700 ERROR: Unable to create per-mount debugfs root.

I then searched a bit, and found that ocfs2 can't mount an already mounted volume, and I was suggested to change the UUID of the snapshot device in order to be able to mount it.

So I tried using tunefs.ocfs2 and got the following error:

tunefs.ocfs2 1.4.1
tunefs.ocfs2: Trylock failed while locking down the cluster

So I searched a bit and found that there was a patch suggestion for  --force option to tunefs,

http://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/ocfs2-devel/2008-July/002447.html

and that it was rejected,

http://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/ocfs2-devel/2008-July/002449.html

and some ominous warnings,

http://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/ocfs2-devel/2008-July/002450.html

o well... now how am I supposed to backup my live ocfs2 volume? Make a virtual machine that will have just that snapshot device?