[Ocfs2-devel] Problem with ordered mode handling on truncate

Jan Kara jack at suse.cz
Tue Feb 10 08:17:20 PST 2009

On Mon 09-02-09 19:23:37, Joel Becker wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 04:34:16PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> >   Hi,
> >
> >   I've looked at how OCFS2 call jbd2_journal_begin_ordered_truncate()
> > (because I've been adding some comments about how is should be used) and
> > noticed that OCFS2 has a potential race in truncate vs transaction commit
> > leading to stale data in file. In particular: There is a race if someone
> > writes new data and we start committing the transaction after
> > jbd2_journal_begin_ordered_truncate() is called but before transaction
> > adding inode to orphan list is started. Because then data written by the new
> > write are discarded in the truncate but if we crash before the truncate
> > itself is committed, we see old data instead of newly written one.
> > Maybe more understandable as a diagram:
> > 	   CPU 1:					CPU 2:
> > jbd2_journal_begin_ordered_truncate(inode, 0)
> > 							write(trans, inode, ...)
> > discard data of "inode"
> > 							commit "trans"
> > ---- CRASH
> >
> >   The correct fix to this problem is to call
> > jbd2_journal_begin_ordered_truncate() after inode has been added to orphan
> > list (new i_size written respectively). That function is called from two
> > places:
> > 1) ocfs2_truncate_for_delete() - easy to fix, just move the call just after
> >    the write of the inode.
> > 2) ocfs2_setattr() - we can move the call into ocfs2_truncate_file() but
> >    that would mean calling jbd2_journal_begin_ordered_truncate()
> >    and consequently ocfs2_write_page() under ip_alloc_sem - not too nice.
> >    Furthermore ocfs2_orphan_for_truncate() zeros the last cluster
> >    beyond i_size and we cannot do that before writing out previous
> >    content... Not sure how to solve that yet.
> >
> >   Any ideas welcome.
>
> 	Well, we don't actually orphan the inode ;-)
> 	Is this the same crash as you specified in the later patch to
> lock the journal?  Or something different and ocfs2-specific?
  This is different and OCFS2 specific. It would not lead to a crash, just
a silent exposal of old or uninitialized data block (-> data corruption) when
the system crashes.
  Yes, I've noticed that OCFS2 does not orphan inodes on truncate. But
anyway the point is that you can call jbd2_journal_begin_ordered_truncate()
only after you are sure the file size change is added in the running
transaction and you have to do it before you really evict (or zero) pages
in memory.

								Honza