[Ocfs2-devel] 40TB RAID and OCFS2 woes (inode64, JDB2, huge partition support, Volume might try to write to blocks beyond what jbd can address in 32 bits)

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Wed Dec 30 14:49:03 PST 2009

Robert Smith wrote:
> Dear Joel, I am using a custom compiled kernel version 2.6.32.2, using the stock ubuntu 9.10 server-config for the kernel config.
>
> root at s2-replay01:~# uname -a
> Linux s2-replay01 2.6.32.2.31337 #1 SMP Wed Dec 30 11:36:40 CST 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> root at s2-replay01:~#
>
> root at s2-replay01:~# grep OCFS2 /usr/src/linux-2.6.32.2/.config
> CONFIG_OCFS2_FS=m
> CONFIG_OCFS2_FS_O2CB=m
> CONFIG_OCFS2_FS_USERSPACE_CLUSTER=m
> CONFIG_OCFS2_FS_STATS=y
> CONFIG_OCFS2_DEBUG_MASKLOG=y
> # CONFIG_OCFS2_DEBUG_FS is not set
> CONFIG_OCFS2_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
> root at s2-replay01:~#
>
> root at s2-replay01:~# grep -i ocfs /proc/filesystems
> nodev   ocfs2_dlmfs
>         ocfs2
> root at s2-replay01:~#
>

> the mkfs.ocfs2 does not throw an error. It did not throw an error on the ocfs2 1.4 modules downloaded for Redhat5 either. I've changed the OS to Ubuntu because I was having all sorts of trouble getting a kernel to compile and boot on CentOS. I'm a lot more comfortable in Debian/Ubuntu anyhow. I was hoping the absolute newest kernel would fix this issue, but it did not. I have also compiled the ocfs2-tools-1.4.3. It broke on fsck, but i was able to get the mount.ocfs2 binary to compile. I again used the mount -o inode64 option with the exact same errors as before. Appears it's still using JDB instead of JDB2.
>

> Anything else I can give you to help debug?

We removed jdb compat code in 2.6.29 or so. So it has to be using jbd2.
One way to confirm would be to list this directory: ls /proc/fs/jbd2/.
It should show the ocfs2 devices. If not, then the kernel source is suspect.

Having said that, >16TB support while technically possible, is still being
tested. We will announce support once the testing has completed.