[Ocfs2-devel] [Cluster-devel] [RFC] Splitting cluster.git into separate projects/trees

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Fri Nov 14 09:37:43 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:25:30AM -0600, David Teigland wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:18:13AM +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> > At this point we haven't really settled how many (sub) project will be
> > created out of this split. This will come once we agree how to split.
>
> I like the third option as long as the number of new git trees doesn't
> explode (obviously no one wants 10 new git trees.)  Not to get ahead of
> you, but for my own curiosity I looked at what minimum number of git trees
> I'd have to start juggling... it's not too bad, but more than this might
> get out of hand.

	Obviously I like the third option, as I proposed it :-)  But I
think Dave's really nailed how to split it out.  Originally, I expected
that his fence.git, fence-agents.git, cman.git, and rgmanager.git would
stay together as one tree, and that gfs and its utilities would also be
one tree.  Looking at it, though, I think he's right we split them out.
That's a result from our plan at the summit to start converging fence
agents and then eventually move fencing up the stack.  And I can tell
you from experience that separate kernel and tools trees for a
filesystem (ocfs2.git, ocfs2-tools.git) is a much nicer way to go.

Joel

--

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing
 is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker at oracle.com