[Ocfs2-devel] [RFC] to make files of ocfs2 under sysfs canonical

Mark Fasheh mark.fasheh at oracle.com
Wed Dec 12 14:52:50 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 02:28:57PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > The sysfs entries of ocfs2 are under /sys/oc2b, but I think they
> > generally should be under /sys/fs/oc2b, aren't they?
>
> Yes, they should be, it looks like someone messed up putting them in the
> sysfs root directory.

'o2cb' refers to the stuff in ocfs2_nodemanager, so we wanted to keep it out
of the fs namespace (think more "cluster" than "file system").

We felt at the time (and still do) that it was better than polluting
/sys/fs/ with non file system related things.

Also, I feel that for perspective, I should mention that this layout isn't
anything new - we've been doing this for a while.

> > But as Joel said, this change will break ocfs2-tools, so the decision
> > was not made.
>
> It should be pretty simple to change the tools to work for both places,
> right?

Changing a path (or just testing two of them) isn't a big deal, the problem
is that existing versions of ocfs2-tools will break very badly. That's
clearly unnaceptable for a production file system.
	--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh
Senior Software Developer, Oracle