[Ocfs2-devel] Fencing in OCFS2

Daniel Phillips phillips at google.com
Thu May 18 14:21:29 CDT 2006

Zach Brown wrote:
> Sum Sha wrote:
>
>>With some experiments and going through OCFS2's quorum code, I am sure
>>that in case of serial split-brain, quorum algorithm will surely break
>>and will cause complete cluster shutdown. It will cause all the
>>subcluster nodes to panic themselves. Please correct me if I am
>>wrong...
>
> Can you provide the details that lead you to be sure of your analysis?

It seems to be the intended behavior.  No node is a member of a quorum
group so all nodes should be fenced.  This is correct.

What is wrong is the idea that fencing is equivalent to panicking.  No!
Fencing means preventing a particular node from writing to shared storage.
The FAQ item is incorrect.  How about this instead?

Q03     What is fencing?
A03     Fencing is the act of preventing a node from writing to shared
         cluster storage.

Regards,

Daniel